Monday, March 16, 2009

Midwives



I have FINALLY embraced a little more technology and started a blog. Imagine that, another place I can get on my soapbox!! Who knew!!


I just returned from a WONDERFUL conference in Eugene, Oregon hosted by Midwifery Today.


I attended 2 years ago and again was not disappointed! It is so inspiring, healing, and nourishing to spend several days with sisters all cut from similar cloth. My brain is full from all the things I learned and my heart is bursting from being filled with the wisdom and caring of so many truly gifted and awesome women.


Many of these women practice in states where only a CNM ( certified nurse midwife) can legally practice. ( And CNM's in these states can not attend twins, breech, or VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section). So.... women in these states can only have a home birth for the above special births ( as most of the MD's or hospitals will not attend these births either) with a licensed or direct entry midwife, and it is illegal. These women, put their heart in their hands anyway, against the law, to help families Birth the way they desire.They practice underground to avoid persecution.


Please tell ME what has happened in our country when we as families have a right to "bare arms", but not to "bear babies"!!! Gun, OK, breech baby with a midwife.... not OK??!!


PS: This is a statue of Lincoln in Boston titled "A race set free". Ladies... we won the right to vote, the right to own property, the right to equal pay..... we lost the right to BIRTH. Choose to be a race set free!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great way to start your blog!
    I almost went to the MT conference - would have been great to see you there!

    ReplyDelete